We’ve been working hard over the last few years to get our provision right for children…and their parents. We’re really keen for you to know that all God’s children (of all ages) are welcome.
“Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me…”
Mark 9: 37
“Let the little children come to me; do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs…”
Mark 10: 14
Children are never too young to come to church. At church we belong to one big family and we want you and your children to know you are all very welcome.
For you and your children’s convenience:
• During all services at St George’s, there is available a toddlers’ play area where you are welcome to sit with your children. You are of course equally welcome to borrow toys from the play area and sit with your children in a pew.
• There is a small meeting room next to the toddler area that you are also welcome to make use of during the service (the room has a window to the church and audio speaker so that you can see and hear what’s happening in the service).
Even half a service can feel like a long time for a pre-school child
• Our ‘Star Club’ Group (3s to 5s) meets each week in the Upper Room during the first half of the Sunday 9.30am service (you are welcome to sit with your children whilst they get used to being in the Star Club).
• The toddler play area is for children aged up to 5 years old. We’d like to try to encourage older children to begin sitting in the main body of the church.
• The Sunday Star Club runs from 9.25 am until the Communion part of the service. At this point the children are brought back into the church to rejoin you.
• You are of course welcome to keep your children with you for the entire service; using the Star Club is by no means mandatory.
• There are nappy changing facilities in the Disabled Toilet (situated in the church annex).
• Please also feel free to walk round at the back or south side of the church (right hand side) to settle your child.
• Although we enjoy watching the occasional successful escapee, we would ask you to try and discourage children from wandering around beyond the toddler area during the service.
• Children learn by imitation. Encourage your children to imitate what the adults are doing.
• Encourage him/her to respond to the music, moving & clapping if there is a strong rhythm.
• ‘Rising 5’ children are most welcome to join our Sunday Club which also takes place during the Sunday 9.30am service. As with the Star Club, parents are welcome to attend Sunday Club with their children whilst they get used to the new surroundings.
Children aged 5 to 11 are most welcome to join our Sunday Club.
The initial session takes place during the Sunday 9.30am service at the same times as the Star Club (see above).
A further Sunday Club session is held at 11am for approximately 45 minutes.
Children are welcome to attend either or both sessions as they wish. As with the crèche, parents are welcome to attend Sunday Club with their children whilst they get used to the new surroundings.
Family Friendly Services
You are very welcome to bring children to all services, but those with the greatest child focus are:
Family Communion on the 1st Sunday of each month at 9.30am
Parish Communion on 2nd – 5th Sundays at 9:30am
There are refreshments after all of these services in the Church Hall.
Tiddlers & Toddlers
A lively group for Tiddlers, Toddlers and their carers every term-time Monday afternoon (1.30pm-c3pm) in St George’s Hall.
This is a popular informal gathering which enables parents or carers to share fun and friends with their children. Craft activities such as sticking, playdough and cooking are always on offer. There is an excellent selection of toys, ranging from baby activity centres to bikes, so children from 0-5 can play in a safe environment. After refreshments there is a story or singsong and general get together.
The cost is £2 per adult each week, inclusive of refreshment for all.
Wednesday Stay & Play Eucharist
Our weekly Wednesday 9.30am Eucharist is open to everyone and has a format that is particularly accessible and welcoming to parents and carers with small children. A café runs before and after the service next door in the Large Meeting Room of the annex. Further details can be found here.
A Sunday evening youth group for 11-18 year olds. Term-time Sundays at 7pm. For further details, please contact Terry Winrow.
We hold a week-long summer Holiday Club for primary-school-aged children with five morning sessions. Each year’s Holiday Club has a different theme and is generally held during the first week of the school holidays.
For further details please contact the Church Office.
For regular Sunday and Weekday Services please see our Service Details page.